Saturday, October 4, 2008

The surviving survivor

With his shiny sneakers and his falling pants, he walks as if he is walking on the trampoline. “You got to make it quick man, because I need to be at the law library by six o’clock.” Those are the words by a 20 year old Tendai Foya as we enter his messed up room for the interview.
“University sucks”, says Tendai as he walks towards the sink kicking the coffee mug on the floor. “The only time I have to clean up my room is the weekend”, he explains with the grin on his face. He clears his throat and scratches his hair. “If I happen to fail this year, my dad would eat me alive”, shaking his head as he explains how hard his family is struggling for the better of his future.

“I can’t wait for the weekend to begin”, he says with the smile. He throws his big file on the bed, and as he extracts some books to go with, he continues with the talking. “Here at Rhodes I have leant that you have to both party hard and study hard.” The smell of alcohol is a habit in this room, and the bottles are located in each and every corner. He picks up the brown Hennessey Vodka bottle and places it on his chest. “This is my girlfriend”, he giggles. “The funny thing is that I only started drinking here at Rhodes, but I think I cannot copy without it now.” You can tell from the smile on his face that he enjoy what he is talking about. It’s amazing how the student like him can get all firsts in the entire five subjects on June exams. This alcohol inherited by peer pressure, has became the greatest tool for his first year survival.

His cell phone rings and he then replies, “Not tonight bro, for sure tomorrow”. Tendai makes sure that he avoids going out on weekdays. “I lost my DP last term, and now that I got it back, I’m not going to let it go. Rhodes is a very strict University, so I don’t take chances.” He speaks and elaborates using gestures as he is up and down in the room. Like other students, Tendai also have a so called ‘home sickness’. “Although I have all the freedom that I need, but I miss my Zimbabwe”. He puts the books in the bag and put his bad on his back as a sign that he is ready to go.

Many students when they come to Varsity they change their lifestyle and that negatively affects their academic performance. Tendai is a hero, because even though he got hooked up by alcohol, he still manages to get his schoolwork up to date. “First term was a bit hectic, having to adjust to the new environment, without my family and friends.” Ranging from the first term up until now, Tendai has improved well academically. “I love Rhodes and I don’t see myself attending other institution,” he adds. “Now I am holding the last breath for the exams and I am confident. As long as my sweetheart is here,” he kisses his Hennessey Vodka bottle as he goes to open the door, both of us laughing.

No comments: