Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lets be realistic...


It’s a fact: to many first year students, coming to Rhodes actually gave them a chance to experience the outside world. Free from their parents treating them like infants, they get the opportunity to interact with people with different lifestyles from different backgrounds.


Notably people when they are at Rhodes, tend to adopt fake lifestyles that they did not live while they were still in school. One example is of a friend of mine from res. When we first came here during the O’ week, he avoided alcohol and he was going to church every Sunday. He was just a man of God and successfully avoided all funny stuff. Having too much work, as he explains is one of the causes that made him choose to drink alcohol. Now he cannot do anything without alcohol even when he is studying. But it’s a good thing that it’s working for him even though it’s something that he inherited through stress and ‘peer pressure’.


Another good example is I. Coming from the rural area where I knew that boys have a duty to the field to graze cattle, where they find their own ways to entertain themselves like swimming in the dam and play a stick game has exposed me to a ‘civilized’ environment. I still recall my first day at Rhodes when one girl asked me if I go out and I just replied, “Daily” not knowing that going out here is interpreted daily. I had never been inside the club before and I didn’t know what happening there. I still remember my first day at EQ, watching the sport lights as they rotate on the floor, drinking some ‘sweet alcoholic stuff’ and waking up in the morning on my bed not knowing how did I get there. I started to get more and more addicted to this ‘going out’ thing as I was doing it every weekend. Seeing that my academic performance was bad, I then realized that it’s because this was not the good way for me to live. I then went back to my old way o living.


I am not trying to criticize or offend anybody, and I don’t know if it’s a style or what, but I have noticed that there are lots of guys here who adopt a feminine style. This reminds of the day when I was at Jac lab, when one guys asked me for the pen, and I said, “I’m sorry girl, I don’t have it”. They way he walks, the hair style and even the way he speaks you can bet that he is a girl. On my tutorial, when we were discussing our experiences, one girl made an example of one guy in her history tut. She stated that during the first and the second term, this guy was straight just like other ordinary guys, but the third term, as she said it, he became “homosexual”.


As I said, on this opinion piece I am not trying to criticize or offend anybody, but come on! Why people when they get to varsity they change their lifestyle? Some of them you can see that those things don’t suit them but they still doing it to please other people. My argument as this let us try to live what we are and not imitate other people’s styles because they are ‘a fake’ to us. And they will never work to us as good as it works for those people.

No comments: